We are driven by our purpose: to make sustainable living commonplace
It’s why we come to work. It’s why we’re in business. It’s how we inspire exceptional performance.
Back in 1883, Sunlight Soap was launched in the UK by our founder – it was pioneering, it was innovative and it had a purpose: to popularise cleanliness and bring it within reach of ordinary people. That was sustainable living, even then. We now have over 400 brands and we are still driven by purpose.
We want to do more good for our planet and our society – not just less harm. We want to act on the social and environmental issues facing the world and we want to enhance people’s lives with our products.
We’ve been pioneers, innovators and future-makers for over 120 years – we plan to continue doing that. And we plan to do it sustainably.
We're a truly global business
- 190 countries where our brands are available
- 3.4 billion people use our products every day
- € 52 billion turnover in 2021
We own purposeful brands
- 400 + brands that are household names
- 13 brands with sales of over €1billion in 2021
- 13 brands in Kantar's top 50 global brands are ours
We're powered by our people
- 148,000 employees worldwide
- 50 markets where we are the FMCG employer of choice
- 52/48 gender balance (female/male)
- 92 % of our leaders are local to their market
We use our scale for good
- €445m spend with diverse businesses owned by under-represented groups.
- 53 % of our plastic packaging is reusable, recyclable or compostable.
- 64 % reduction in Scope 1 and 2 GHG emissions since 2015.
- Making sustainable living commonplace
We are Unilever Canada
- 125 + years in Canada
- #1 position in deodorants, dressings & skin cleansing categories
- 3.6 million lives reached with the Dove Self Esteem Project
- Founding Member Canada Plastics Pact
Unilever in Canada
Unilever’s ambition is to be the global leader in sustainable business, showing that our purpose-led, future-fit business model delivers superior performance. At Unilever Canada, we work every day to uphold this exciting vision.
Our portfolio includes iconic brands such as Dove, Knorr, Hellmann’s, Lipton, Magnum, Axe, Ben & Jerry’s, Degree, Schmidt’s, SheaMoisture, Seventh Generation, St. Ives, TRESemmé, Vaseline and Vim. Many of these brands hold leading positions in their categories. In fact, we are #1 in the deodorants, spoonable dressings (i.e. mayonnaise) and skin cleansing categories. We proudly make our Hellmann’s mayonnaise in the Greater Toronto Area and our Simcoe, Ontario facility makes our Breyer’s, Ben & Jerry’s and Magnum ice cream brands as well as Klondike and Popsicle.
The Unilever Compass, our sustainable business strategy, is set out to help us deliver superior performance and drive sustainable and responsible growth, while:
- improving the health of the planet;
- improving people's health, confidence and wellbeing; and
- contributing to a fairer and more socially inclusive world.
At Unilever Canada, we are taking action to reduce plastic waste by reformulating our packaging and increasing the use of recycled plastic. We are a founding member of the Canada Plastics Pact, a multi-stakeholder, industry-led collaboration platform which aims to tackle plastic packaging waste and pollution.
Our Hellmann’s brand is helping to reduce food waste by encouraging consumers to use their leftovers and the Dove Self Esteem Fund continues to help educate youth about the importance of self-esteem and building body confidence. Through our commitment to ‘Act 2 Unstereotype’, we are challenging ourselves to create marketing, not just advertising, that will help influence the next generation of people to be free from prejudice.
Unilever has a long history in Canada having started operating in the 1890’s in downtown Toronto with the Lever Brother’s soap factory.We are still headquartered in downtown Toronto today but have a national presence. Our people are committed to making sustainable living commonplace. On a daily basis, we look to engage with our consumers, customers and stakeholders to inspire innovation while doing more good for the planet.